Sunday, September 10, 2006

One Step Closer to Being Lapped

Y'know that last post by Goose? The one right below this wherein he casually mentions that he ran a mile in 6 minutes and 21 seconds? We now have more to worry about.

While I've been sweating away most of my bodily fluids in the beautifully suburban California desert valleys trying desperately to accomplish my very reasonable workouts, Goose -- ever supportive of my efforts -- has been quietly trouncing my times. Observe the following:

1) We get our workouts from the same place -- a Runners' World online calculator called SmartCoach.
2) I've been running 20 miles a week since May, so I'm kinda in shape. The calculator takes this info plus your age, your last race time, and a few other bits of data to design a workout plan.
3) My last hard workout: 7mi with 3 x 1600m @ 6:45 with 800m jogs in between -- I almost died
4) Goose's last workout: 7mi with 3 x 1600m @ 6:37 with 800m jogs in between

So what, right? Eight seconds? Sure, the first mile, no problem. But do that three times? In a row? Good luck.

I'm am now officially very worried about the one event I thought I had a chance in.

I guess it's back to the dictionary for spelling bee practice.

3 Comments:

Blogger willthespill said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:43 PM  
Blogger willthespill said...

The fact that I don't have any idea what those numbers mean probably isn't a good indicator, huh. So I went to the website to tailor a workout plan for me, but they didn't have one for "Training for 1 mile run", and they had no option for "Currently train 0-0.1 mile per week". Screw those guys.

2:44 PM  
Blogger wamez said...

Goose: Not gonna happen.

#1 all the way.

Franchise: "7mi with 3 x 1600m @ 6:37 with 800m jogs in between"

- 7 miles total will be run during this workout.

- Part of those 7 miles will be warmup and cooldown, ostensibly the miles not included in the following:

- 3 x 1600m = 3 miles. Each mile has to be run in 6 minutes and 37 seconds and after each mile, jog a half mile to rest before starting up on the next one.

...not that I think you need the explanation. I know all your self-depracation is a smokescreen. I'm onto you.

11:41 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home